Pinot Noir is fast becoming a favorite among California wine drinkers. It is a light to moderate wine that matches well with many foods. The hit movie, Sideways, has been influential in the recent popularity of Pinot Noir wine.
- Pinot Noir is know as the “Noble” grape and originates from the Burgundy region of France.
- Pinot Noir grows only in cool climate regions. Fog is good for Pinot Noir. Cool ocean breezes are good for Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir likes cool nights.
- Pinot Noir is a light to a medium bodied wine. The color ranges from light red to a medium dark red color.
- Pinot Noir has aromas and flavors of raspberry, cherry, sometimes spicy hints, and sometimes earthy flavors like the smell and taste of mushrooms.
- Pinot Noir pairs well with salmon, lamb, chicken, ham, and pork.
- Consider serving Pinot Noir at cellar temperature. That means between 58 to 62 degrees.
- Pinot Noir is a challenge to both growers and winemakers. This means good Pinot Noir can be pricey.
Pinot Noir Wine Country of California | Pinot Noir Wineries
In search of Pinot Noir | Wine trails leading to great Pinot Noir