Which wine glass
Enjoying wine employs the human senses of sight, smell, and taste, but what about the wine glass? A good wine glass is essential for complete wine tasting enjoyment. You don’t have to pay an “arm and leg” to buy decent wine glasses. Just follow a few rules when selecting a wine glass, and you are sure to get the most from the wine you pour into that ideal receptacle. This is how to decide to purchase wine glasses.
Wine Glasses on a Budget
- If you are on a budget, purchase multi-purpose wine glasses.
- Choose ones that are 8 to 10 inches in height.
- Choose a wine glass that has a bowl that is deep but moderate in diameter.
- Choose wine glasses that are made of good thin clear glass, not decorative or colored. Anything but a clear glass takes away from appreciating the wine in the glass.
- We have seen moderately priced glasses like these at Crate & Barrel, Costco, Cost Plus, and Ikea stores.
- Here is a link to an article on how to buy and select budget wine glasses.
Wine Glasses for Specific Wines
The Riedel wine glass company started this trend. Riedel designed wine glasses that are shaped to bring out the characteristics of specific types of wines. One can have a set of Chardonnay wine glasses or Bordeaux wine glasses as well as other varietals. Now many other wine glass manufacturers are doing the same. Crate & Barrel has a good selection of varietal wine glasses, and they are much less expensive than Riedel glasses.
Here is an example of specific Riedel glass: Riedel Ouverture Magnum Red Wine Glass, Set of 6 plus 2 Bonus Glasses
Champagne Wine Glasses
A flute is the traditional wine glass for drinking Champagne or sparkling wine. These glasses have a long and narrow bowl. The shape enables less surface space for the bubbles (carbon dioxide) to escape.
This is an example of a Champagne flute: Schott Zwiesel Tritan Crystal Glass Stemware Forte Collection Champagne Flute with Effervesence Points, 7.7-Ounce, Set of 6
Wine Glass Tips
- Hand wash your glasses with warm water.
- Use a mild detergent.
- Hand dry with a soft cloth.
- Better yet purchase the Wubeez. It is a cloth that shines your glasses like new. It is the best wine glass cleaning idea on the planet. The Wubeez.
Pour wine to about the lower one-third of the glass. This level is desirable for two reasons: It leaves room in the glass for the aroma to work its way up the sides of the glass. Secondly, you won’t spill the wine over the top edge when swirling the wine in the glass.