Wine Collection Tips | Starting a Wine Collection
This page contains wine collection tips and ideas for the person who wants to start a wine collection or wine cellar. Plan a wine collection that will provide a wine for any meal, occasion, and celebration.
A well-stocked wine collection is the goal of every wine lover around the globe.
Tips & Ideas for Starting a Wine Collection or Cellar
- Select the ideal storage location in your home. It must meet the requirements for storing and aging wine.
- You need to stock the wine cellar with an initial investment of at least 24 or more bottles of wine. Begin with a budget and initially buy the major varietals. For whites: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Gewürztraminer. For reds: Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon. Don’t forget about the dry rosé or some sparkling wine.
- Within that budget, buy wines over a price range that includes everyday wine, weekend wine, special occasion wine, and a great bottle wine for that very special occasion. Here is a great Website for finding wine values and bargains.
- Later, consider a few wines from France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand and lesser-known California varietals.
- If you have a good wine merchant near you, he or she will be very helpful in selecting wines. There are also numerous online wine merchants that offer advice.
- Adopt a strategy for replacing and/or expanding your wine collection. Many wine retailers such as K&L Wines offer a variety of wine clubs. If you want to increase the number of bottles, buy an amount each month that exceeds your intake.
- As your wine cellar grows, so will the need to keep track of what you have stored. There are many database or spreadsheet programs that can help you with this. Many wine folks like CellarTracker.
Some informative books on wine collecting and starting a wine cellar
- Cellaring Wine: A Complete Guide to Selecting, Building, and Managing Your Wine Collection
- Keys to the Cellar: Strategies and Secrets of Wine Collecting
- Wine For Dummies