The pros and cons of joining a winery wine club – Should you join a wine club?
When you visit a winery, chances are that you will also be getting a pitch about joining a winery wine club. Most all wine clubs work the same way. Members of the wine club receive 2 to 4 shipments of wine per year adding up to a case per year. Some wine clubs will offer different options. The wine clubs are big business for wineries. It is the most significant source of selling their wines out of their tasting room. Some wineries push the wine club membership, while in others, the wine club sell is low key. Often, the winery employee will get some commission for getting visitors to join the wine club. We list the pros and cons of joining a winery wine club.
Benefits of joining a Winery’s Wine Club
- Wine clubs may ship you wines before they are available to the public.
- Wine clubs may ship you special wines such as reserve wines or exclusive releases that are not available anywhere except at the winery or to members.
- Wine shipments are usually discounted 10 to 20%.
- Wine club members receive a discount on any wines or merchandise they order from the winery or purchase at the winery.
- Wine club members say they enjoy and look forward to receiving the wines and the element of surprise that comes with each shipment.
- If you like the wines produced by a winery, it is a convenient way to taste the latest offerings.
- A winery may offer special events at the winery for wine club members only.
- There is no cost to join a wine club.
- You can quit a wine club at any time.
Disadvantages of joining a Winery’s Wine Club
- Shipping charges may exceed the discount advantage
- The selection made by the winery might be a wine variety you don’t enjoy.
- The discounts are based on full retail pricing. With many of the wineries, especially the larger wineries, you can find a better deal at various wine shops that deal in volume sales.
- Even though you can quit a wine club at any time, most people don’t get around to notifying the winery. You will need to call or email to inform the winery that you want to quit the wine club. Human nature usually means that you won’t leave a wine club anytime soon.