Each year we plan on taking a trip to a far off wine country or to a wine country we have not visited. With the Pandemic and other issues, travel afar is not possible. But we can see the world-famous wine country in a virtual experience. Here are some exciting virtual wine events to mark on your calendar.
Wine Country with National Geographic
The SOMM Journal, in partnership with National Geographic and SommCon are inviting consumers and wine professionals to a free one-of-a-kind wine tasting Webinar series called Geographic Digest.
Winemakers from all parts of the world will participate in a virtual seminar and wine tasting event. Through the company, BottleTribe, participants will be able to purchase some of the wines in advance of the Webinar.
The first webinar, “UNIQUE REGIONS OF THE WORLD,” will be on September 24, 2020: Wine, and thankfully great wine, is made today around the world. Eight winemakers from different wine countries around the world will be on hand to showcase wines unique to a particular landscape, soil, climate, and other factors. Although we cannot travel until a vaccine arrives, this can help us get through the doldrums of staying sheltered.
- Juliette Monmousseau, CEO of Bouvet-Ladubay in the fertile Loire Valley will introduce a bottle fermented sparkler made from 100% Cabernet Franc.
- From Germany’s Rheingau to a historic castle where only Riesling has been cultivated for over 300 years, Estate Manager/Managing Director, Stefan Doktor of Schloss Johannisberg will share a classic dry Riesling.
- From the windswept sandy soils of Sardinia’s southern coast, we’ll taste the unique Carignano with Winemaking Consultant, Giorgio Marone of Agricola Punica.
- From Napa Valley, Director of Winemaking, Ralf Holdenried, will introduce Black Stallion Estate Winery.
- From Paso Robles, Director of Winemaking for J. Lohr Vineyards and Wines, Steve Peck will share their Signature Collection Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Down the cool Pacific to Chile’s Cachapoal Valley we’ll taste a blend of five red French varieties grown in the foothills of the Andes, with Chief Winemaker, Cristian Vallejo of VIK Winery.
- In Australia’s McLarenvale, Winemaker & Joint Managing Director, Richard Angove, Angove Family Winemakers, will dive into the deep purple hues of a single vineyard Shiraz.
- And from Europe’s Atlantic coast, CEO Jorge Rosas of Ramos Pinto will take participants to the steep slopes of the Douro with a thoroughly unexpected flavor from one of Porto’s most historic producers.
Duckhorn’s Cheese and Wine Event
Enjoy three Point Reyes cheese delights matched with wines from the Migration, Goldeneye, and Calera labels. This is a virtual event which includes the cheese and wines sent to your home. The event host is Jill Giacomini Basch, a co-owner of Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. and the winemakers. The date is September 25, 4 to 6 pm. Complete details and Ticket Purchase information.
September is California Wine Month
There are many exciting virtual events taking place across all of California wine country. September is California Wine Month, with the grape harvest taking place all month long. Check the Virtual Event Calendar and see which ones meet your wine fancy. Take advantage of these one-of-a-kind special tastings. See California Wines