If you want to get off the beaten path, try this getaway to three great wineries in Napa Valley’s Mount Veeder Appellation. Mount Veeder is part of the Mayacamas Mountains, the mountain range that separates the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. This can be a very relaxing day trip, or you can turn it into an overnight stay in either in the Napa Valley or the Sonoma Valley.
Top Wineries Mount Veeder Appellation
• Fontanella Family Winery – A small production boutique winery
• Hendry Winery – George Hendry is a Napa winemaking legend
• Hess Collection Winery – Spectacular setting, exquisite gardens
Dining and Lodging Recommendations
Winery Descriptions, Driving directions, Tasting Room, Contact Information
Fontanella Family Winery
Jeff Fontanella and his wife Karen have created a wonderful getaway deep in the Mount Veeder wine appellation. The winery is open by appointment only so it is a must to call in advance and make a reservation. Three wines are produced, a Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and a Chardonnay. The setting is gorgeous! It is a little tricky getting to Fontanella. Take Redwood Road off Highway 29 and head west for 2 miles. Take a left onto Brown Valley Road and then a right onto Patrick Road for 2.2 miles.
Tasting by appointment, 48 hours advance notice. Open 10 to 4pm daily
(707) 252-1017, Fontanella
This is a classic family-owned small winery, a throwback to another era. Owner George Hendry and his nephew operate this small winery. The winery is open only by appointment, but George Hendry loves to have visitors come and taste his delicious wines. The vineyards are separted into small plots, each a microclimate. Each plot grows whatever grape George concludes will do best in this area of his vineyards. The results are deliciious wines. To get to the Hendry winery, take the Redwood Road exit off HIghway 29. On Redwood Road, go to the left when the road splits (about one mile). Continue another 1.5 miles. Watch on the right for the tiny Hendry sign at 3104 Redwood Road. You will need to call several days prior to your trip to make an appointment to visit this wonderful winery.
Tasting open by appointment only. (707) 226-8320
e-mail: email@example.com, Hendry Winery
Hess Collection Winery
Watch for the signs to the Hess Winery about four miles up Redwood Dr. At this point, Redwood Dr. turns to the left and after one mile you will arrive at the Hess Collection Winery. The Hess Collection Winery is a spectacular winery. The gardens are lovely and the walk to the tasting room takes you through a reflecting pond on one side and a beautifully covered wall of ivy on the other side. Consider taking the self-guided tour, it is quite informative. This winery is a popular destination spot and it can be crowded on the weekends. The Hess Collection offers a variety of wines in the Visitors Center, including Small Block Series wines produced only for sale there. These wines participate in the 1% For The Planet program, donating a percentage of sales for environmental efforts. There is also the Hess Art Collection museum which is open the same hours as the tasting room and is certainly worth a look.
Tasting room is open daily 10 am to 5:30, (707) 255-1144
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Hess Collection Winery
Tips for your Napa Valley Sparkling Wine Tour
- You are encouraged to have a designated driver. Consider hiring a limousine or van service.
- First time to a winery in Napa? Find out what happens in a typical tasting room.
- Are you wondering about how to taste wine? Wine Tasting Techniques
- Almost wineries in the Napa Valley charge a tasting fee. Expect to pay $10 or more to taste. Two people can always elect to share a tasting.
- Some ideas for which wineries to visit.
- Plan a picnic lunch. This ’s greatest pleasures.
- If you cannot picnic, enjoy a delicious lunch at one of Napa Valley’s many fine restaurants.
- We list premium lodging and budget lodging.
- Pace yourself and make a day of wine tasting. Don’t forget your camera.
- Visiting three wineries in one day is enough to you keep you busy and content with the slow and easy pace of wine country.
- Please read our Disclaimer Document on the information contained on Wine Country Getaways.