The main attraction in Sonoma Valley is wine and food, but there are many other things to do in Sonoma Valley. The town of Sonoma is just 45 minutes from the San Francisco Golden Bridge. The Sonoma Plaza or Square is the focal point of this busy little wine country town. A walk around the Plaza will take visitors to many historical sites and fabulous shopping and dining. There are plenty of things to do for the entire family. You can shop, dine, taste wine, and explore. Here is our list of the top things to do in Sonoma, a wine country gateway to the Valley of the Moon.
Top Things to Do in Sonoma Valley
- Take a walking tour of the historic sites around the Sonoma Plaza (pick up guide at the Visitor Center in the Plaza)
- Have coffee and a pastry at the Basque Boulangerie Café, 460 First Street East
- How about lunch at the famous Girl & the Fig
- Window shop the streets and lanes surrounding the Sonoma Plaza
- Do an art gallery walk
- Visit the California Mission – San Francisco Solano de Sonoma
- Ride the Sonoma Valley Wine Trolley -A cable car wine tour
- Hike in Sugarloaf State Park
- Rent a bike and go on your own or take a guided bike ride in the Sonoma Valley
- Do the tasting rooms around the Sonoma Plaza. Here is a list of the best to visit.
- Stop in at the famous Sonoma Cheese Factory
- Visit Wildwood Farm in Kenwood home to many Japanese Maples and Dogwood plants
- Tour the Buena Vista Winery – founding date of 1857 by Count August Hazasthy
A very useful and handy book to have along as you explore the Sonoma Valley: Moon Spotlight Sonoma Valley