Only a handful of California wineries produce this white wine from France’s Alsace. It can be an excellent alternative to Chardonnay. Pinot Blanc is made in a similar fashion to Chardonnay. It can be fermented and aged in stainless steel tanks or in oak barrels. It may or may not undergo malolactic fermentation. To get the full pleasure of this wine choose the stainless steel variety.
- Pinot Blanc grows in cool climates and most acreage of Pinot Blanc in California is found in Monterey and Mendocino Counties.
- Pinot Blanc has aromas and flavors that are floral and fruity, particularly citrus, pear, apple, and peach.
- Delicate fish grilled or fried with Pinot Blanc is an excellent pairing. Light cheese is also a match.
- According to the tasting notes on the Robert Sinskey Web site, Pinot Blanc goes well with artichokes and asparagus, two of the hardest foods to match.
Favorite California Pinot Blanc
- Robert Sinskey Vineyards – half bottle in addition to 750 ml bottle.
- Castoro Cellars
- Saddleback Cellars
- Valley of the Moon Winery