Last time we highlighted recipes and wine pairings from the Napa Valley. Now it’s time for recipes from Napa Valley’s neighbor, the great Sonoma Wine Country. The wine towns of Healdsburg and Sonoma are culinary centers, and their respect is worldwide. Sonoma is a big County with wineries in many different wine appellations. From the coast to the Mayacamas Mountains, there are several climate zones. See the difference between Sonoma County, Sonoma, the city, and Sonoma wine country. While we currently cannot go to the wine country, we can create these fabulous recipes and purchase wine from these wineries.
Sonoma Winery Recipes
St Francis Vineyards and Winery
The St. Francis Vineyards and Winery are in the Sonoma Valley, at the northern end of Highway 12. The winery has an executive chef and has a wonderful array of recipes and wines to match. Here are some favorites.
- Lemongrass, Ginger, and Carrot Soup – Sauvignon Blanc
- Roasted Beet Salad – Zinfandel
- Garlic Chicken Wines – Cabernet Sauvignon
Jordan Winery is in the Alexander Valley on Highway 128, a few miles from Healdsburg. Jordan is most famous for its Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Their Chardonnay is exquisite as well. Jordan also has a chef and these are a few of their great recipes.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup – Cabernet Sauvignon
- Grilled Short Ribs – Cabernet Sauvignon
- Mashed Potatoes with Mushrooms, Shallots, and Herbs – Cabernet Sauvignon
Merry Edwards Winery and Vineyards
Merry Edwards Winery is in the heart of the Russian River Valley. Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are the main grapes of this AVA. Merry Edwards is one of the great winemakers of our time. Last year, Merry Edwards sold her winery to the Roederer Family of Champagne fame.
- Fabulous Porcini Mushroom Risotto for Two – Pinot Noir
- Red and White Lasagna for Pinot Noir Lovers
- Fall-Inspired Butternut Squash and Shiitake Enchiladas – Pinot Noir
Rodney Strong Vineyards
We started visiting the Rodney Strong winery way back in the early 1970’s. There were not that many wineries in the Russian River Valley in that era. The winery produces an extensive amount of wines. The Rodney Strong wines found in supermarket shelves are always a good wine buy. Check out these recipes from Rodney Strong.
- Oven Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwich – Zinfandel
- Grilled Shrimp Salad – Sauvignon Blanc
- Ham and Coleslaw Biscuits – Chardonnay
Kendall Jackson is one of the most recognizable labels at supermarkets and wine shops. The main winery is in Santa Rosa on Fulton Road. The tasting room is lush and the gardens amazing. Kendall Jackson owns several other wineries in California. Here are a few top Kendall Jackson culinary delights.
- Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers – Cabernet Sauvignon
- Goat Cheese Enchiladas – Sauvignon Blanc
- Slow-Cooked Salmon with Fresh Oregano Fennel Salad – Chardonnay
Ferrari Carano Vineyards
The Ferrari Carano winery is one of Dry Creek Valley’s most notable destinations. Tourists love the tasting room and the fabulous gardens. It really is a special place. One of the most popular wines by Ferrari Carano is the Fumé Blanc. It is one of the biggest sellers in fine supermarkets and shops. Here is a sample of recipes from owner Rhonda’s Kitchen.
- Apple, Fennel, and Blue Cheese with Toasted Walnuts – Chardonnay
- Capellini with Shrimp and Tomatoes and Arugula – Fume Blanc (Sauvignon Blanc)
- Flatiron Steak with Blackberry Wine Sauce – Prevail Back Forty (Cabernet Sauvignon)
Mill Creek Vineyards and Winery
Mill Creek Vineyards and Winery are on Westside Road, a five-minute drive from downtown Healdsburg. The winery is in Dry Creek Valley, but a short distance to the west is the Russian River Valley. Mill Creek is a cute little winery with a working watermill. The winery is a great spot for a picnic lunch. The wines are delicious and so are these recipes.
- Panino Di Manzo – Cabernet Sauvignon
- Spicy Zinfandel Stew – Zinfandel
- Brownies with Port Infused Cherries – Port
Kunde Family Winery
Kunde is one of the oldest family-owned wineries in California. Kunde is in the Sonoma Valley region, on Highway 12. There are many activities for the tourist at the winery. A cave tour and hike to the top of a steep vineyard hill are among the highlights.
- Guacamole with a Kick – Chardonnay
- Jim’s Famous Caesar Salad – Chardonnay
- Grilled Rib-Eye with Carmelized Onions and Blue Cheese – Cabernet Sauvignon
Stay safe in your home and cook some of these fantastic meals with your family. Practice your food and wine pairing skills. Let us know what you try!