As soon as you enter Mendocino, you will experience a feeling of being back in time. You won’t see any buildings or storefronts that resemble modern day commerce; no McDonald’s, no Pottery Barn, or anything similar. Like the old days, the pace of life in Mendocino is slow and easy. The air is clean and fresh. The surrounding beauty of the ocean and rugged coast brings a feeling of solitude and peace of mind. This is truly the spot to rejuvenate the spirit.
Top Things to Do in Mendocino
- Have a good cup of coffee and a pastry at Organic Coffee Bar & Internet Cafe & Cafe – 10450 Lansing Street
- Have a full breakfast in the Garden Room of the Mendocino Hotel – 45080 Main Street
- Pick up a deli lunch at Mendocino Market and Deli (45051 Ukiah Street) for a picnic on the beach or at Van Damme State Park
Shop Main Street and the surrounding side streets. Don’t miss:
- Out of This World – science toys and items– 45100 Main Street
- Sallie Mac – gifts and home accessories – 10540 Lansing street
- Gallery Bookshop – great selection of books on Mendocino – Main and Kasten Streets
- Fittings – a home and garden shop (better than Restoration Hardware) – 45050 Main Street.
- Best Hike – Fern Canyon Trail in Van Damme State Park The park is located three miles south of the town of Mendocino on Highway 1. The hike is easy to moderate. There are picnic tables at about the one mile mark. This trail leads to the Pgymy Forest. Hike as far as you would like. It’s beautiful!
- Best Walk – Mendocino Headlands – begin at the end of Main Street. The trail leads around the peninsula coastline of Mendocino. Bring your camera!
- Most Interesting Spot – The Pygmy Forest – Drive south on Highway 1 from Van Damme State Park, turn left on Little River Airport Road, and continue approximately 3 miles east to the Pygmy Forest parking lot. From there, a 1/4-mile boardwalk trail provides wheelchair access to the trees. The forest consists of trees that are dwarfed because of the hardpan soil that does not allow roots to penetrate.
- Visit the Point Cabrillo Lighthouse – about 2 miles north on Highway 1, turn onto Pt. Cabrillo Road at Russian Gulch and follow the signs. The Point Cabrillo Lighthouse is open to visitors daily from 11 to 4 pm. There are also hikes and other interesting buildings to visit.